Top banner ad

Monday, February 7, 2011

Fast Twitch Muscle Fibers

Fast twitch muscle fibers deteriorate more quickly once we hit 40 years old, so it's important to train and build the fast twitch fibers if you are as old as dirt like me :) I read an article on Saturday on www.fitness.com that discussed the best ways to train our fast twitch muscle fibers---those that are activated with short bursts of intense activity.

One method involed the rate of lifting and pushing while weight training. I employed that in my full body workout yesterday. Basically, it involed most of the same movements I've been doing, but with a certain burst of intensity....I would lift or push very quickly, hold, then slowly release, versus a more even "2 seconds up" and "2 seconds down" routine.

Results? I hurt all over. There must be something to this! Now, at one day out I can guage results other than by how I feel, and I must say that I am amazed at how I had gotten into a workout rhytym, and was recovering pretty easily. My muscles are burning like crazy from head to toe today so I think there must be something to this!

I promise to keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment and thank you for visiting.