Top banner ad

Sunday, February 5, 2012

New Shoes- Fit for the Job? 10K training

I've been wearing Asics Nimbus 12 that are about one year old, but have very little running on them. I've been experiencing pain in the inside of my lower legs...not really shin splints, but farther back along the leg. On the advice of folks, I went to a specialized running store in Carytown in Richmond, Virginia.

The folks at Roadrunner, at 3002 Cary Street in Richmond were very helpful. They looked at the wear patterns on the bottom of my current shoes and had me run back and forth in the store. Afterward, the associate told me that my ankles were rolling too far inside, after landing on the outer part of the foot. Based on the strike, he brought out a pair of Asics, followed by Saucony and finally, Brooks.

After trying each shoe, I narrowed to the Saucony and the Asics. They were very close in feel so the associate had me try running the small loop in the store with one on each foot. That did the trick. Once I had the on together, I much preferred the stability of the Saucony Progrid Guide 5.

Interesting, because having not been a runner I had never even considered a Saucony shoe. Everything that I read recommended having your stride reviewed at a speciality store and trying their recommendations. The Progrid Guide 5 felt light but very stable, with a ton of arch support.

We'll put it in motion on Tuesday morning and I will let you know what I think after a few days of running in them. In the interim, if you have a favorite brand or shoe, drop a comment and not which and why so that others reading the blog might learn from your experience.

Have a great week friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment and thank you for visiting.